My Gotcha Day and Blogaversary are coming up on November 25th! In honour of that event, I am re-posting my very first Thursday Thirteen!
#44 - Thirteen Things About Sphynx
- Sphynx are a naturally hairless breed of cats. We are born this way.
- Sphynx are not totally hairless; we can have fine down on the body. Some light hair is often present on the nose, tail and toes. I am hairless except on the bridge of my nose and my ears.
- Sphynx have no whiskers, or very short whiskers. I have a few tiny, short whiskers that curl.
- Sphynx get cold only if it is cold enough for a human to also be cold. If a human needs a sweater, chances are we need one too, although we're also happy to find a warm human to curl up with (or another cat or even a dog if they are around).
- Sphynx are friendly, extremely inquisitive and love to be the center of attention. The CFA Sphynx Breed Profile uses the term "Love Mooch" to describe Sphynx.
- Because of the lack of hair that would normally absorb body oils, Sphynx need to be bathed periodically. The oil builds up on our skin and can cause problems if it's not cleaned off.
- Sphynx eyes are ears need to be cleaned as well, since we lack hair in our ears, and so ear wax builds up more quickly. We lack eyelashes, so dirt builds up more quickly in the corners of our eyes.
- We Sphynx have a very high natural metabolism. Because of our higher metabolism, we eat more and more often than "regular cats" do, and we need to be fed very high quality pet food. Our bodies have to work harder than that of other cats to keep ourselves warm, since we lack fur.
- Some people who suffer from cat allergies can tolerate living with Sphynx cats. However, depending on the type and severity of the individual's allergic reactions, there are still people who cannot live with this breed. My human dad is allergic to cats, but he can tolerate Sphynx without any problems.
- In 1966 a domestic cat gave birth to a hairless kitten in Toronto, Canada. It was discovered to be a natural mutation and the Sphynx cat, as we know it today, came into existence.
- Cat breeders in Europe and North America have bred the Sphynx to normal coated cats and then back to hairless for more than thirty years. The purpose of these selective breedings was to create a genetically sound cat with a large gene pool and hybrid vigour.
- Sphynx hairlessness is produced by an allele of the same gene that produces the Devon Rex, which has only one of the usual two fur coats. The Sphynx allele is incompletely dominant over the Devon allele; both are recessive to the wild ("regular") type.
- The most famous Sphynx is, of course, Mr. Bigglesworth, Dr. Evil's cat in the Austin Powers movies. Contrary to what some people believe, they did not shave a poor cat for the movie. They used a Sphynx! The cat who played Mr. Bigglesworth is a Sphynx named SGC Belfry Ted Nude-gent.
You are doing great job introducing Sphynx to us~!!! Thank you for let me learning more~!!!
For your great friendly famous, that is a great job that you do to let many people understanding Sphynx, because until today, there are some beans still have some problem deal with Sphynx, So, that means you are doing wonderful job to let everyone understand you more and they will learn more and like you more~!!!
Sphynx is very beautiful for sure~!You are unique because that is the way you are, and I like the way you are~! I am so admiring your beans taking Sphynx so well, that is the thing let michico says she couldn't have ability to do, she always thinks your beans are very great and wonderful~!!!!!
I don't have Thanksgiving here, but, I also hope you are happy~!!
I am so thankful that knowing you and be friends with you, you are very handsome and wonderful great Tuxi buddy~!
That's a fascinating list of facts, Dragonheart. The more I learn about Sphynx, the more I want one. Happy TT!
My list is up at Siani's Pot-Pourri.
Happy almost Gotcha Day and Blogaversary! Since I met you, I have learned so much about your fascinating breed. You are a good ambassador.
I thought I'd seen this before! Happy blogiversary!
Dat's all very interesting! I'z now knows lots more stuff about Sphynx cats than I did before... :)
But if Isis grooms me lots can I please have extra dinners just like you? ;)
This was fascinating; we loved learning more about you and what a unique and special kitty you are. We shared your October Thanksgiving and now we ask you to share ours... there is much to be thankful for, and we count among our blessings... knowing you and your family. Happy Turkey Day Dragonheart, to you and yours!
Happy Thanksgiving! How is your little brother?
This is a very good list and worth re-reading! I love learning from such a wise cat as yourself! Today is both China Cat's and my first Blogoversary!
Thank you for these wonderful facts,Love Mooch!!,heehee
When we first started looking at the cats on the blogosphere we saw you and Mom was not sure she liked Sphynx cats as they have no fur(she loves hair on cats & beans which is silly as she likes Cap'n Jean Luc Picard)
As with all things,the more she got to know you,the less fur mattered.Your wonderful personality shines through :)
Now she thinks it's cool to see your toes and skin.She can't see mine because I have fur,Go figure Heehee!
Have a fun day :)
It's always fun to learn more about Sphyx's.
Fanks for stopping by and wishing us Happy Fankgiving :) Yoo can celebrate our too if you want, and a'mind us and we'll cellybrate yore one also!
Sanjee, Boni, Mini, Gree and Pepi
Those were some great facts! Thanks for wishing us Happy Thanksgiving. haf a can of vishus deer and cellybrate wif us!
That's a great re-post DH! Your gotcha day is right around the corner!
Thanks for re-posting all that stuff about you. Now we know more about the non-furry kitties.
I remembered your first post Dragonheart! We kept reading it and thinking I know that! He's posted before and then we re read your intro and said YES!!! We remembered lots of those things!
Happy Gotcha Day in advance!
We learned a lot from your post, Dragonheart!
And it's a very very thankful thing that your Dad is not allergic to Sphynx!
Enjoy your day, however you all spend it.
O, Dragonheart, happy late Fanksgiving to u's.
love tha TT on Sphynx, it is a furry elegant breed.
That was a very informative T13. I learned alot about Sphynx. I think Sphynx are very beautiful, especially you Dragonheart.
It's so nice to hear all about da Sphynx breed again. Yoo are so unique and such a cool lookin' cat. We are fankful to know yoo.
These are 13 great facts about Sphynx cats!! We already knew all of them, but hopefully some "fast judging beans" who visit you, read this! You Sphynx cats are beautiful at the outside and inside!!
Wow, Dragonheart. I never knew those things. That was really interesting. We love visiting you blog because you tell us really neat stuff, and because you are suc a nice cat, and a true gentleman. Happy Thursday.
Roxy & Lucky
Dragonheart, we learn so much from you and on this Thanksgiving Day, we're giving our thanks for having you as a friend!
& all of us at Artsy Catsy
I's enjoyeds learnings about Sphynx kittys. Thank yous!
Thank you for the well wishes for todays, we all are stuffed kittys (after we came outs from hidings).
We love sphynx kitties! Thank you for teaching us about them, DH. You are a great ambassador!
Happy Gotcha Day and Happy Blogaversary a little early! I am very glad to have met you. It is very interesting to get to know you a little better every time I read your blog.
Thank you very much for your kind words while Ruckus and my Daddy were feeling bad. We really appreciate your encouragement! Ruckus and my Daddy both feel a lot better now. My Daddy still has a long way to go before he is really well though.
Very gud desripshun of Sphynx's! We are amazed. We mean, you are so cool, but now we know more about you.
Very interesting. It's nice to learn more about your breed.
Post a Comment