Dragonheart here again.
Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts and words yesterday. Here I am hanging out on the router after I returned home from the vet. My mom had to work on her research, and the router is right next to the computer, so this allowed me to be close to her.
So the good news is that because the mass in my mouth is benign (non-cancerous), there is no rush to take it out, and the only reason we need to take it out is that it seems to bother me - I seem to be chewing on it, which causes pain and bleeding.
Gum hyperplasia like this normally doesn't recur in cats, but my regular primary care vet has now removed it twice, and it has come back. So we don't know exactly why or what's going on.
The specialist basically suggested two options: 1. do a CT scan, to see if that can tell us anything about what's going on that they can't see on x-rays. 2. watch and wait, and see what happens - if the mass goes back to causing me pain, or if it causes me to stop eating or drinking, or if my behaviour changes in any other way.
Since my mom is finishing up her grad degree, and both my mom and dad are getting the house ready to be put on the market, and then we are all going in to a hotel for a while, and then we are moving, we are opting for 2 right now - watch and wait. Once our move is completed, and we have settled in and recovered from the stress, we will get the CT scan done. The timing just isn't very good right now for anything else, given that this isn't an emergency. If it was something that needed to be taken care of right away (i.e. if the mass was cancerous), then we would take immediate action. But since it isn't (and it's been biopsied twice, with both biopsies coming back as benign), the vet thinks we are find just watching and waiting.
So that's where things stand. Not ideal, but hopefully the mass won't bother me too much in the next little while. We are also still waiting for word on the results of Devi's skin biopsy. She's now eating the hypoallergenic food, so that's good, but no real change in her skin yet. But we haven't completely transitioned to the new food yet, so that's certainly a factor.
Thanks again everyone. We will be back to visiting and posting more once all this craziness is over!