Today is my human dad's birthday! Happy Birthday Dad! In honour of his birthday, I present:I would like to thank all the military personnel who serve and keep us safe, like my dad, and the Cyclone Cats' Man in Green. All of the military personnel serving overseas, away from their families, are always in my thoughts and prayers.
#16 - 13 Things About My Dad
#16 - 13 Things About My Dad
- He is an engineering officer in the Canadian Forces. He serves in the Canadian Land Force (regular army) and currently holds the rank of major. The red uniform that my dad is wearing in the photo to the right is called "Mess Kit" or "Mess Dress". It is the formal, dress uniform for army officers. It is the military equivalent of a civilian tuxedo.
- He is currently posted as a Verbindungsoffizier (exchange/liaison officer) at the Pionierschule (German military engineering school) in Munich. In summer 2009, he will be posted back to Canada. We won't know where until early in 2009.
- He has served in a lot of missions overseas. He was in Kuwait during the first Gulf War, and opened up the Canadian Embassy in Kuwait after the Iraqis were forced out. He has done peacekeeping tours in Haiti, Bosnia, and Eritrea, and spent 6 months in England studying at Schrivenham, doing graduate-level work in explosive chemistry. He has also served in domestic operations, such as during the Winnipeg Floods in 1997. When we are posted back to Canada, he will probably end up doing a tour in Afghanistan, unless Canada has a change of government before then, and we pull out of that country. But under the current government, Canada is in Afghanistan for the long haul.
- He was born on April 19, 1965 in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. He is 7 years older than my mom.
- Although he is from Newfoundland, he doesn't have a Newfie accent. Well, mom says he only has one if he's had a lot of beer to drink! It is funny that he doesn't have an accent because both his mom and his sister do!
- He studied chemistry at Memorial University (in Newfoundland) and has a Bachelor of Science degree. To be an engineering officer in the Canadian Forces, you do not need to have an engineering degree. You can have an engineering degree, or a degree in physics or chemistry
- While at university, he served in the Reserves, first as a sapper, then as an officer, in 56 Field Engineer Squadron. When he graduated from university, he applied to join the regular force, and was accepted.
- He has his "jumper's wings" which means that he has passed the military parachuting course. One of his first postings was as an airborne engineer.
- He loves running and is a lifelong runner. He's a fast runner, even though he isn't built like a typical runner. He has run a bunch of half-marathons, one marathon (with another one coming up on April 29th), and many, many shorter races. He is also a basketball player, and currently plays with one of the local leagues here in Munich.
- He is an avid comic book collector and has collected and read them throughout his life. He also enjoys reading books, both fiction and non-fiction, especially science fiction, military history, science and current events books.
- He is allergic to cats, but fortunately isn't allergic to Sphynx! Which is why I came to live with my humans.
- He is a good dad! He makes a good perch and I often perch on one of his legs, either when he is sitting up on lying down. He feeds me every morning, even though I wake him up a few minutes (or more) before the cat food alarm goes off.
- I am very proud of my dad, and of the job he does! He has helped people all over the world, and he keeps us safe. I love him very much!
Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag Papa!
Happy Birthday Dad!
Happy Birthday Dad!
Happy Birthday to your dad!
And thanks cat for visiting my blog :) Happy Thursday Thirteen to you!
Your Dad looks furry smart, furry lurving, and a furry steady perch. No wonder you are so proud of him!
It was great to learn more about your humans, Dragonheart. (I love a Newfie accent myself; too bad your dad has lost his).
Your dad certainly is one of the people whose life is all about doing service to the world...thank him for me, will you?
Happy birthday to your dad! And you have a great dad..:) ..Wish that my daughter will appreciate My hubby like you do in the future too..
Hee hee, I forgot it was the cat talking and was all sorts of confused about why you were living with your dad for a few minutes there.
I love hearing how proud you are of him, and he sure sounds like he's earned every bit of it.
happee birfday to yer dad, major dragonheart. u should be verree prowd uv da grate job he duz.
Very cool. Happy birthday to your dad. :) Carl's done some occasional liaison things with the Pionierschule as well, back when we were in Heidelberg.
Your dad's birthday is only 3 days before my dad's :) Happy birthday to him & thanks for stopping by! :)
Your Daddy and my Daddy are a lot alike, they even look a lot alike! It was nice to read about him and see how proud you are. You're a good kitty! Your Dad is doing a great service for his country! I know your Mommy must be very proud, too!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DRAGONHEART'S DAD!!!
That was sweet! I love Munich! We were stationed in Kaiserslatern for 4 years!
What a great Dad!!! My 85 pound doberman was a little jealous of the picture of Dad with the cat on his lap...Toby is just too big to be a lap dog...but he still tries!
What a wonderful Thursday Thirteen! Your Dad is very special, and I am very grateful to and proud of all the men (and women) in green.
Happy Birthday Dragonheart's Dad!
happy birthday to your dad. Give him a good snuggle today. :)
dragonheart, i can see why you're so proud of your dad! he sure deserves it.
Dear Dragonheart, Happy Birthday to your daddie. He is a wonderful man and we think he is brilliant and amazing. (we remember when he even let you wear his very best mess dress and you looked so great in it too, almost as good as your daddie, of course you were just a kitten then)
We are so proud to know your daddie and we are very proud of his service to help the world become a better and safer place.
we hope you have the happiest and funnest day ever!!
Love Princess and caesar.
This is a great post. Happy Birthday Dad! Tell him to stay safe and thank him for standing up and protecting us.
Thank you for stopping by my blog!
Oh, you must give your dad extra head buts and love bites today. What a lucky kitty you are to have such a wonderful dad!
I am so glad your Dad isn't allergic to you. He sounds like a nice Dad and you look very happy with him.
Sockie~Pooh likes waking us up to be petted during the middle of the night and he makes a very good alarm clock. He is playing outside now, but I am sure he would say hi if he was sitting in my lap.
Happee Birfday Dragonheart's Dad!! It was nice to learn more about your dad! And it's great to know other kitties who have "a Man in Green" like we do.
We keep your dad in our thoughts and prayers too!
Happy Birthday to your dad. And please tell him THANKS!!! from a fellow Canadian, for doing what he does. He makes us proud...
Great T13, Dragonheart! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your dad--sounds like you've got a great one.
We would like to wish your Dad a happy birthday also. We can tell you are very proud of him as we all are.
What a wonderful thing to do...
Happy Birthday to Dad who is only 2 years older than me!!
Happy Birthday Dad!!!
It was very nice to learn about all the wonderful things your dad has done!!! And we especially like the part about his legs being your perch. That is the MOST important qualification for a dad.
What a great list and a great dad!
Happy Birthday to him :)
Happy Birthday to your Man in Green! He sounds great. Make sure he gets extra lotsa snuggles and headbutts today.
What a truly wonderful tribute to your dad! I loved this list and bet your father does to! Happy birthday to your dad! :-D
Happy Birthday to your dad. He sounds like a remarkable and accomplished guy.
Happy Birthday to your Dad!!
Happy Happy Birthday to your dad, Dragonheart!
Wonderful list. Hope your Dad has a wonderful day.
Thanks for dropping by my TT.
OMG I feel so old LOL! Happy Birthday to your Dad :-)
Happy birthday Dragonheart's Dad!
Happy birthday to your Dad Dragonheart!
A great tribute to your Dad on his birthday.
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Happy Purrthday, Dragonheart's Dad! And thank your for your service to keep us all safe.
What a great post--happy birthday to your Dad! I love that spiffy dress red uniform!
Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag too!!
Happy Birthday. That is a very nice way to celebrate and share it with us! Your Dad sounds very nice.
I am very glad that he is not allergic to you. Take good care of him!
Icon & family
Happy Birthday to your dad. This is a great, heartfelt list that made me smile.
Hope your Dad has a great birthday. He seems like a hard working man, as well as a great perch.
Happy Purrfday to your daddy!!!!
Dragonheart, that is a lovely tribute to your Dad!
Happy Birthday to him from a bunch of Michigander Kitties!
Daphne, Chloe, Spooker, Jazper
and Not The Mama
Happy Birthday to your Dad! It sounds like he is a great guy with a wonderful sense of duty to his country! He's done a lot!
Happy Birthday, Dragonheart's Daddy!!
This was a wonderful list this week, Dragonheart. I'm so glad you found such a wonderful home with your parents! =)
Great tribute to your dad. What a funny green uniform ;)
Happy Birthday to your dad!!
He sounds like a wonderful guy. Make sure to give him extra snuggles today!
Happy Birthday to yoor dad. Make sure yoo tell him our whole fambly sez thank yoo. We apreeshiate all that our men and women in green do fur our world.
Bonne Fête to your Dad, tell him as a fellow Canadian I appreciate all his hard work.
And your humans have great taste in shows hehe
Wow Dragonheart, this is a great list to honor your Dad's birthday. He sounds like a great guy.
Happy TT and thanks for visiting my list. :-)
Happy Birthday to your Dad! I am so glad you don't make him sneeze.
Happy birthday to your dad! Being a maritimer myself, I have to say I love the newfie accent. :)
Happy birthday to your dad! He sounds like a great guy. I studied chemistry, just like him :)
Tigger and I will stop by the Blogger's Choice Awards to vote for you! Good luck!!
Oh happy birthday to your dad. Those were great facts. My slaves and I respect anyone n the armed forces. Your human must be very clever.
Happy Birthday to your dad! He sounds like a wonderful person!
A man worth knowing... and of course, he is not single! Happy TT!
Happy Birthday, DH's Dad! Please thank him for the great job he does by serving in the military.
DH, that dress uniform your dad is wearing looks awfully familiar. Did you let him borrow it?
Titus, Tazo, & Earl Grey
What a great TT for your Dad, Dragonheart. I know that the US and Canada are in for the long haul in Afganistan and I appreciate why, but I still hope that your Dad doesn't have to go there. I know it's selfish of me and that your Dad is a great guy who wants to keep us all safe, but I hate to see anyone I know put in harm's way.
Happy Birthday Dragonhearts Dad! Thanks for your military service!
Happy Birthday Dad!
Un abrazo de cumpleaños desde España para usted.
´●๋: ●๋: Luna ●๋: ●๋:
´´´´´ ●๋: ●๋:
´●๋: ´●๋: ´●๋: ´●๋:
Happy Birthday to the Dad. He looks furry smart even in his camo.
Wow, that was great to learn about you Dad! He sounds very smart and talented! We appreciate all of the hard work and sacrifice the men and woman of the service do. We salute your Papa and say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Happy Birthday to your Dad! Enjoy your remaining time away from Canada!
Thank you for stopping by.
Happy birthday to your dad! And tell him thank you from all of us!
Happy Birthday Dragonheart's Dad - as the daughter of an American Air Force (retired)senior Master Seargent, I know how proud of you Dragonheart is. It takes a special family to live the life required by the military, but I know for myself, I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything.
I thought you might like this link to youtube video I got today that pays tribute to the men and women of the military.
Tara (not the cat)
Your dad sounds like a great guy Dragonheart! Happy Birthday to him! Luckily he's no1 allergic to you :)
You'll get to travel a lot if your dad get re-assigned eh? Well, hope you, your mom and your dad had a great celebration! Happy t13 form me and Nermal!
Happy happy Birthday!!!!
Happy Birthday, Dad. (late)
What a wonderful tribute to your dad. I'm sorry I wasn't able to stop by yesterday and see this.
He has lead a very interesting life and I'm so happy that he adopted you.
I'm impress your dad don't have the accent!!
I'm missing it, since a lot of students at my university were from NFL!!
Tanx for your visit!!
Happy belated Birthday to your dad and thanks for visiting my collections TT!
Btw, I just voted for you in the Blogger's Choice Awards.
Post a Comment