I am so happy that my humans are back home that this week I am going to share with you
#18 - 13 Things About my Human Mom
- She was born on March 19, 1972, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Her biological mom was only 16 years old, so she gave my mom up for adoption. My mom was adopted by her parents when she was just a few weeks old.
- She has a degree in biological engineering (a Bachelor of Science in Engineering) from the University of Guelph.
- She is very smart! She graduated at the top of her class from high school, winning the Governor General's Academic Medal, and at the top of her class in engineering, winning the Professional Engineers of Ontario Gold Medal.
- She is currently studying to be a physiotherapist (physical therapist), working towards a Masters degree in physiotherapy.
- She is a certified group fitness (aerobics) instructor. She is certified with CanFitPro as a Group Fitness Instructor Specialist, and has a Resist-A-Ball C.O.R.E. I certification. Her favourite classes, to teach and to take, are Step and Stability Ball.
- She loves running. She is very slow, due to a variety of biomechanical problems, but she still loves running. She has completed two marathons (26.2 miles/42.2 km), four half-marathons (13.1 miles/21.1 km) and many shorter races.
- She loves reading. Her favourite genres are fantasy and historical fiction, but she also enjoys some mysteries, some science fiction and some regular fiction.
- She also enjoys reading comic books, a hobby that my human dad introduced to her. Her favourite comic book writers include Gail Simone, Brian K. Vaughn and Bill Willingham. Her favourite comic book artists include George Pérez and Greg Land.
- She has been involved in Girl Guides (Girl Scouts in the U.S.) for most of her life. As a Guide she earned her All Round Cord (highest honour a Guide can earn) and as a Pathfinder she earned her Canada Cord (highest honour in Canadian Guiding). She volunteered for many years as a Junior Leader and a Leader.
- She doesn't watch a lot of television, but there are some shows she (and my dad) never miss. Her all-time favourite T.V. show is M*A*S*H. Other favourites are Mythbusters, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica (the new series), Smallville, Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Entreprise, and The Muppet Show. She also watches shows and documentaries on Discovery, Discovery Civilization, Discovery Science, the History Channel, and the National Geographic Channel. Especially when she is running on the treadmill.
- She is fascinated by ancient Egypt and the Roman Empire, and plans to visit Egypt to see the pyramids and the sphinx in the Fall. She also wants to visit Rome.
- She loves horses and horseback riding. When she was younger, she rode hunter seat and dressage. Now she takes dressage lessons once a week. She's never owned a horse but has always wanted to. She fractured her L2 vertebra (that's a bone in the lower back) back in 1993 falling off a horse while jumping, but refused to let that stop her from riding again once she was healed.
- She loves cats. Her favourite breeds are Sphynx (of course!) and Siamese. Other favourite breeds include Devon Rex, Cornish Rex, Ocicat, and Abyssinian. But she loves all cats, regardless of breed. Since my dad is allergic to all cats except Sphynx, she is happy that Sphynx are one of her favourite breeds!