#37 - 13 Things About My Recent Tummy Troubles
Warning: this may be too much information (TMI) for some, due to discussions of litterbox trips.
- I have always had a sensitive tummy. My humans call it an "expensive" tummy, because cheaper foods don't stay down. If I eat too quickly, it also doesn't stay down.
- Sphynx, as a breed, tend to have sensitive digestive systems. We need to be fed a very high quality food, and we eat more than other breeds, because we have a fast metabolism that helps us to stay warm.
- I've eaten the same high-quality, 100% organic, 100% hormone-free and 100% antibiotic-free food my entire life (first the kitten food, then the adult food). It is grain-free and has no by-products. The crunchies I've eaten have always been chicken-based, but the stinky goodness has varied - I've eaten chicken, salmon, trout, tuna and chicken & shrimp, salmon & shrimp, and chicken & pumpkin varieties of the stinky goodness.
- My litterbox trips have always been a little soft, again, due to the fast Sphynx metabolism, but recently, they were getting even softer and stinkier than before, and I had a couple of trips where there was blood on my bum and on the surface of my stool.
- That's when I was taken to the vet, I was given a shot, and pills to take, and I seemed to be doing better, although my stool was still very soft and stinky.
- Because of that, the vet wanted to try me on a new food, a prescription food that was high in fibre.
- That food clearly didn't agree with my system, because although it was yummy, and I kept it down, I was getting more blood on my bum and on my stool.
- So, since both the prescription food and my original food were chicken-based, we decided to try a chicken-free food.
- Right now, I am eating a duck-based food. I've been on it since Tuesday.
- Tuesday morning and evening, there was a lot of blood on my bum and my stool, so my mom was very worried. The vet said to try the new food for a week, and if I was still having problems, they would run more tests on me.
- Yesterday, there was no blood. My stool was just soft and very stinky. This morning, there was just a tiny bit of blood when I used the litterbox.
- Hopefully, this is just a food allergy and the new food will work.
- Thank you all for your purrs and your prayers. They are greatly appreciated.