This week, we are listing 13 Things that we don't like
- Being bathed! It is necessary for us to stay healthy, but we don't like it. Like all cats, our skin secretes oils. Since we have no fur for the oil to distribute itself through, the oils build up on our skin and need to be periodically removed through bathing, otherwise it can cause skin problems. Merlin really doesn't like being bathed; Dragonheart tolerates it.
- Having our ears cleaned. Again, since we have no fur in our ears, the wax really builds up and needs to be removed. Once again, Merlin really hates having this done; Dragonheart tolerates it.
- Having our claws trimmed. Sphynx have a fast metabolism that helps to keep us warm. Because of this fast metabolism, our claws grow quickly, and need to be trimmed weekly, sometimes twice a week! Actually, Dragonheart doesn't mind having his nails trimmed, but Merlin hates it (see a trend here?)
- Having our eye "goop" wiped away. Sphynx have no eyebrow whiskers (we actually have no whiskers at all, or just very tiny whiskers) and no eyelashes, so our eyes aren't as well protected as those of other cats. So we tend to get "eye goop" collecting at the corner of our eyes. It is perfectly normal and healthy in Sphynx. But the "goop" needs to be cleaned away. Once again, Dragonheart doesn't mind this too much (most of the time) but Merlin hates it!
- Having our bums wiped. This doesn't happen very often any longer, but sometimes we end up with a little bit of poo on our bums, and it needs to be wiped off. Unlike the previous items, this is one that Dragonheart REALLY doesn't like. Merlin is not too fond of it either.
- The Cold! Again, because we have no fur, we really hate cold weather. Fortunately, we do have a fast metabolism that helps to keep us warm, and we are smart: if we feel cold, we'll find a warm lap to curl up in, or some blankets to burrow under. The rule of thumb as to whether or not a Sphynx is cold is this: if a human needs a sweater to stay warm indoors, then chances are a Sphynx would like a blanket or sweater to help stay warm too.
- Being Pet With Cold Hands! Since we don't like the cold, we really don't like when someone tries to pet us with cold hands! Pet us through a fleece or blanket, or warm up your hands if they are cold, before you try to pet us.
- Being told "no!" Like all cats, we don't like being told that we can't do something!
- Being told "get down!" There are certain places in the house where we aren't supposed to go, like up on the kitchen table. We don't like being told "get down" when we're up on one of them.
- Being sprayed with the evil spray water bottle. When we are doing something we aren't supposed to do, sometimes we are sprayed with the evil water bottle. We don't like it at all.
- Being shut out of the bedroom. Normally we are allowed in the bedroom, and we even sleep with our humans every night. Sometimes, however, we are shut out of the bedroom, and when that happens, we don't like it.
- Having toys put away. We have a lot of interactive toys that we love playing with, like the Whirlybird and the Butterfly. However, these toys require interaction with a human. When our humans get tired of playing with us, they put these toys away (so that we don't hurt ourselves with them). We don't like it when the toys are put away.
- When our humans go away. Although we either have a wonderful cat sitter looking after us, or else we have a deluxe private room in the Katzenpension, all to ourselves, when our humans go away, we still prefer having them at home. We love our human mom and dad, and much prefer spending our time with them!